2 Feb 2014

Rust removal set up

There's plenty of posts and information on electrolysis rust removal, so I'm just going to cover my set up briefly.

After using this for restoring old hand planes, I know that the smaller the bucket, the quicker the results.  The electrolyte is washing soda, using about half a cup to around 5 litres.


My positive anode is my old file, works perfectly here as it reaches the full depth of the bucket.  For the negative current, I bought single strand electric wire (90c/metre) and stripped the insulation as required.


Finally the power supply. Previously I have used a battery charger, with OK results. I am aiming for 12 volts and 4 amps. I found this transformer for under $30 at Jaycar Electronics. It is 240V AC to 12V DC @ 5 Amps - perfect. It is designed to supply 12V fridges, so should run for a while. I removed the plug end and fitted alligator clips.  Now to put it to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment