1 Feb 2014

Removed the barrels

I thought the saga of the front barrel was goignt o be a major headache. Fortunately, after another couple of days of penetrating oil I managed to get the piston to move slightly more than half an inch from the top of the cylinder. After that it moved quite easily until it got to the bottom inch.

I was already concerned about belting the top of the piston while the barrel was supported on timber (to protect the mating surfaces). After sleeping on it overnight, I though about one of those pilot type problem solving exercises. For those that remember Apollo13, Gene Krantz turns the problem on its head and asks what right? Well I then thought if the piston was at TDC, then hitting the barrel from underneath might be kinder. It worked well, in fact the barrel hardly needed much to move it and I could get away with hitting on the fin area.


So next move is stripping the engine accessories so I can split the crankcase and deal with the rusty guts!

No comments:

Post a Comment