22 Jan 2014

Spare cylinder head

I have the original engine, which will hopefully be handy for parts as I go. My concern, though is that the engine is seized - possibly a front cam seizure, a known problem for this motor. The head came of fairly easily; I needed a couple of days of penetrating oil to loosen up the bolts.

Once off, sure enough both valves were stuck partially open, indicating binding of some kind. I couldn't rotate the cam, so went with plan B, which was to pull the cam until it rotated.


I used a bike spanner and cam sprocket bolt as a puller. after about 5mm movement it all freed up. The valves closed and the cam and bearing came out pretty easily.The exhaust side was pretty badly damaged, the cam surface, follower and tappet end all had significant pitting. The inlet side was OK. I will remove the valves to check the condition, but the head also has some witness marks around the cam bearing, which makes it not as sound as the other.







No comments:

Post a Comment